Lugano AirportThe quickest way to get to Lugano from most places abroad, is to fly into the small international airport of Lugano (LUG) which offers several daily direct connections to Zürich (ZRH) with Swiss International Airlines, Geneva (GVA) with Baboo Airways as well as to Rome Fiumicino (FCO) with Darwin Airlines.
- Swiss International Airlines: www.swiss.com
- Darwin Airline: www.darwinairline.com
- Baboo Airways: www.babooairways.com
- Lugano Airport Lugano shuttle bus schedule: www.shuttle-bus.com
Milan Malpensa AirportThe major international hub for Lugano is Milan Malpensa Airport. All major European airlines (over 70 in total) operate direct flights to Milan Malpensa Airport several times per day, including low-cost carriers. Shuttle buses run regularly between Malpensa and Lugano, making for a trouble-free journey. The shuttle trip takes 1 hour (round-trip fare is EUR 40).
- Shuttle bus services to and from Milan Malpensa Airport Lugano:
Milan Bergamo AirportAnother option is Bergamo's Orio al Serio airport, the local base for a large number of budget airlines. Bergamo is about 1 1/2 hours from Lugano by car. Alternatively, travelers can take a bus to Milan, then catch a train to Lugano.
- Milan-Bergamo (Orio al Serio) Airport: www.sacbo.it
Travelling by train in Switzerland is easy and reliable. Lugano lies right on the North-South axis with trains running between
Milan (Milano Centrale) and Zürich (Zürich Hauptbahnhof) every hour.
From Milan it takes 1 hour to get to Lugano, while from Zürich travelling time is 2:37.
Note that the train from Milano Centrale to Lugano does not go via Malpensa airport. To travel to Lugano from Milan Malpensa airport please use a shuttle bus (as described above).
- www.sbb.ch Swiss Railways website (national and international train connections).
Lugano is served by the motorway axis that directly connects Northern Europe to the Mediterranean: the A2 motorway connects Lugano to Milan in 45 minutes and 2 hours to Zürich.
- Online maps www.ch.map24.com or www.viamichelin.ch